CASFM

Thanks for stopping by!!!

Just for you, I have a special one-time offer.  Hit the “leave a comment” on this post with your email address, and I will send you – absolutely free – the list of questions that I think all consultants should ask and the clients should know at the beginning of the project.  Additionally, hit the “follow me” pop up and stay connected as new posts come out.

This is a list I’ve developed over the years, from my time in the private and public sector.  I’ve found that if I can get the answers to all these questions, I have a 90% greater chance of having a successful project.  This is just as true for me as the owner to know this as it is for the consultant.

This is all based on the late Stephan Covey’s concept of beginning with the end in mind.  You’ll never reach your goal if you don’t know what it is.

Thanks and I look forward to our continued dialogue!

JB

Advertisements
Posted in Uncategorized
8 comments on “CASFM
  1. dustyrobinson says:

Thanks for the message at the conference. I like your introduction page too. I think engineers (me included) need a lot of growth in the communication realm.

• jburke316 says:

Thanks for the comment Dusty – you’re absolutely correct. Effectively communicating with people is the foundation to building relationships, dealing productively with conflict and advancing your personal goals by speaking to others in a clear and understandable way. I look forward to our continued dialogue as we share things that help us all get better in this area.

2. david center says:

An insightfull presentation. The wearing of multiple hats for engineers is a hard concept to grasp that not all is technical. Will make required reading for staff.

3. jburke316 says:

Thanks David. Engineering in todays economy is definitely different than it used to be. Quite frankly, I think the engineering part is sometimes the easier part of what we do. Marketing, invoicing, billable hours, client management, deliverables, deadlines, project team leadership and expectation management are the things that every engineer needs to be good at, but didn’t have any college course to teach them. This is the primary focus of this blog site and ultimately the content that will be included in the book I’m writing on this same topic.

4. This was fantastic material for the CASFM conference — keep the message rolling. We need to find a way to keep this message alive.

My favorite quote from you; “Sell the vision, not the details… Sell some sizzle!” For shizzle!

• jburke316 says:

You’re absolutely right Brian – we need to keep this message rolling. I appreciate the comment as you are a great leader in this respect, and I’m glad to see you actively lead in this organization and the value you add to all floodplain administrators! Keep up the good work.

5. Shea Thomas says:

I want to see that list!

6. John – Thanks for your presentation at the CASFM conference, I found your comments to be insightful and right on target. It’s very easy to get mired in processes without looking at the faces behind them. When problems arise, as they often do, it’s effective communication with the people behind the processes that will help us work the issues out. I think it would have been interesting to have a complimentary presentation from the private/consulting side providing some insight from their perspective into the public side of the coin. Thanks again!